This is adapted from a Vulcan District award-‐winning recipe from the Cast Iron Chef Challenge
by Kimberly Cook
- 1 lb. hickory — smoked sausage (can use Kielbasa or Andouille varieties also; I use Conecuh), sliced ¼ inch
- 1 — 2 cups chopped chicken (can use Deli chicken), this is optional
- 1 lb. hot bulk sausage (I use Dean’s Hot sausage)
- ½ Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves (or more, to taste) garlic, minced (can substitute 4 tsp. minced garlic in a jar or 2 tsp. garlic powder, but fresh is best)
- 2 boxes Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice (Original Recipe), with seasoning packet
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried, rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- salt, to taste (may not be needed)
- 1 tsp. Sriracha (or similar hot sauce), optional (taste before adding)
- Brown bulk and hickory — smoked sausage in deep skillet (non-stick, recommended) or stockpot. Add onion and green pepper and sauté until soft. Drain excess grease.
- Add garlic and sauté for just 30 seconds more.
- If desired, add chopped chicken.
- Add water, uncooked rice with seasoning packet, and remaining spices to pan.
- Cook until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Taste to see if additional salt or hot sauce is required.
Download pdf at Jambalaya – main dish Cast Iron Chef Challenge